Blissful and Domestic - Creating a Beautiful Life on Less: A Day in the Life of Christina...

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Day in the Life of Christina...

 photo Adayinthelifeofherbanner_zpse02d869d.jpg

Good Morning Lovelies! Today you are invited to spend a day in the life of her.

You know that gal who you might think has it all together. The mama who seems to do it all. Well guess what? She doesn't. Let's fight those lies. This new series is an effort to get rid of the "super mom"  image that we all make for ourselves in our heads. It is a time to inspire one another even more. We do not have to always have it together to be good moms, wives, and women in sisterhood!

I have invited some wonderful women to share their story with us and to be real with y'all. They will share their struggles, their victories, their frustrations, their joys, and everything in between. It may not be glamorous, but it is real and real is absolutely beautiful 

Come walk a bit in the shoes of another....


Hi, I’m Christina. I am a registered social worker and blogger but am currently a full time stay at home mom. I have been married to my husband N for 8 years and we have 4 energetic little ones: J is 6, T is 5, A is 3 and K is 1. We live in a major city on the Canadian prairies and I am excited to share a rare peak into my crazy day to day life.

My morning starts at 5:40am when my alarm clock goes off. It was a late night though so I end up hitting the snooze button a few times until it’s 6am. I quickly change into my workout clothes then sneak downstairs. I take a peak online at the clearance section of my favourite kids clothing website. Trying to keep 4 kids clothed on a tight budget is a challenge; particularly when they need clothing for such a large range of temperatures. Unfortunately, there are no smoking deals this morning so I head to the basement at 6:15 to do my morning workout. 

I let my mind wonder while I workout- I love exercising at times but this hour long video is loooooong. I’m on week 3 of a 6 week program and I just keep telling myself I am half way there. I hear my husband get up and start getting ready to leave for work then at 7:10 my oldest son J comes downstairs looking for me. I send him back upstairs to start brushing his teeth and get ready for the day.

At 7:15 I am done- thank goodness! I head to the kitchen and pop some waffles into the toaster. The sun is starting to rise so I take a peak outside the sky is beautiful!

 I pull out the bread that has finished cooking in the bread machine and am disappointed to see that it didn’t rise. I’ve been trying some new substitutions but this one is definitely getting crossed off the list. 

 I head upstairs and sneak past K’s room hoping she doesn’t see me while I head for the shower. Thankfully, her brothers are busy entertaining her and she doesn’t know I am there. My husband gave T and A a quick shower since we ran out of time the night before for their baths.

I shower, dress, brush teeth, pull my hair into a ponytail and quickly put some mascara on.  Meanwhile, my boys have all gotten dressed and my husband has changed K and brushed two of the children’s teeth. N is also a registered social worker  and he heads off for work for the day. I brush T’s teeth despite his protests. 

We head downstairs at 7:45 and I get the boys their breakfasts and make some for myself. While they settle in to eat I sit on the couch and nurse K while watching the morning news and checking my email. Once she is done I pack a breakfast for K and a snack for A in between bites of my breakfast. The boys finish eating and get their backpacks ready.  After a quick diaper change for K we leave at 8:25am. 

Usually we walk to and from the kids school while the weather allows but Wednesdays are the exception so we load up the van and head out. We moved to the community we live in specifically for the schools. Our children are enrolled in a French immersion program and I love that we have this option for them. This year J is in grade 2 and T is in half day kindergarten. 

After watching the boys head in I realize that I left something at home so at 8:40 we rush back home for me to grab it. I make a mental note to change the wreath on the front door and to weed the front garden bed the next day. Then it’s off to our local church building for some zumba. I am so lucky to have some very talented zumba instructors and pros in our church who offer a class for free twice each week. I wish I could attend both of them but with my schedule I only make it there on Wednesdays.

We arrive at 9:05 and the ladies have already started but of course A has to go to the bathroom. Once we make it into the gym A spends the next hour playing with friends while I try to get some zumba in while chasing K around. I try to entice her to sit down with snacks and it somewhat works. Once zumba is done I change K’s diaper and feed her the breakfast I had packed super quickly. We make another bathroom trip for A then we get back in the van and A eats his snack on the way home.

We arrive home at 10:30 and I turn the tv on for A and put K in the exersaucer while I have another quick shower. A tells me he is still hungry so we get some carrots and dip out and snack on those while I feed K some yogurt.

Every Wednesday I ask myself if the crazy racing around is worth it. K’s meals are messed up, I’m usually late and stressed out and my house is a disaster zone. Yet, I always come back to the answer yes though. Going to zumba is good for my physical and mental health and my kids enjoy playing with others. Plus it's only one day a week so It’s a win-win.

I suddenly realize that I never turned the crock pot on so I pull the ribs out of the fridge and turn it on hoping they will cook by dinner time. We head out at 11:05 and quickly make our way to the school. (Do you remember when a half day of school meant it ended at noon? Or am I the only one??) We pick T up as well as another child whose family we alternate the kindergarten pick up with. J is staying at school for lunch this year. Our school district charges $250 a year for each child to stay at school over the lunch hour. It's ludicrous but we decided J could stay there this year. Next year he will probably come home.

We walk home dropping the child off at his house on the way. It’s 11:50 when we get back and my house is a disaster zone. T stops to pick a tomato for us to eat with lunch.

 I quickly make the boys lunch then change K’s diaper. She’s pooped, of course because kids always seem to do their business at the busiest times!

I nurse K while the boys eat lunch and then put her down for a nap. Wednesday is one of our three laundry days each week at our home so I toss a load in the washing machine. I clean up poo #2 of the day- thank you A! The phone rings but I can’t answer it. I make myself a sandwich and check the answering machine then return the call. T decides he needs to poop at this time so I end up having to hang up after a few minutes to go wipe bum #3 of the day. (Sorry if this is TMI but it is the life of a parent!)

I finally get to sit down and eat some lunch at 1pm. The boys play with lego in the basement and I check my email again. After lunch I spend almost an hour cleaning up from breakfast and lunch.  Then I text a friend to see if she wants to meet at the playground after school. The weather starts to change this time of year so we try to make the most of days with nice weather. She texts back yes. I get cucumbers out of the fridge that I sliced the day before and can and process 5 pints.

Then I put the laundry in the dryer and check on the boys. They are playing really well together and I say a silent prayer of thanks. Some days are rough with little ones so close in age but today they seem happy so I head back to the kitchen to make some cookies. I clean up while they are cooling then give T and A one to eat. I wake K up from her nap and we all get ready to head out. We leave just after 3pm and I bring snacks for J and K to eat. My friend is already at the playground as I head to the school so I leave T and A there to play and pick J up at 3:30 from school. He eats his snack as we head back to the playground. 

The kids play while I chat with a few friends who have shown up. This is one of the reasons that I love sending my children to a community school- there are so many friends who live nearby to spend time with.

At 4:15 we head home and upon arriving discover that N is home from work 2 hours early. My husband is lying down in bed not feeling well. He is a man with an iron stomach who rarely comes home sick (plus he hasn’t touched the cookies I made) so I know it’s serious. We all pile onto our bed and talk about our day. He decides to take the kids to the basement and lies on the couch there while watching a movie with them. This means I get to make dinner without kids under foot which is a rare luxury for me. I roast some yams and saute asparagus to go with our ribs which thankfully are done. We sit down at 6pm and eat dinner together.

Once we are all done N and I clean up together and then I head outside to water the garden. It’s near the end of the growing season for us but we still have tomatoes and beets growing. I fold the laundry and give the boys theirs to put away. I spend some time doing a general tiding up and sign J’s agenda from school. We read a few books together then the kids brush their teeth and start getting ready for bed. I put a load of cloth diapers in the wash and the boys go to bed. I change the wreath on our front door and return some emails from earlier in the day.

At 7:50 I nurse K while watching a tv show and then put her to bed at 8:30. It’s a rare night that N and I are both home for the entire evening which is nice. We spend some time talking and planning. I make J’s lunch for the next day, get T’s snack ready, set things ready for breakfast, update my to-do list and put the diapers in the dryer then I catch up on our family blog. 

I head upstairs around 10:45 and get ready for bed. I read my scriptures, check on the kids, set my alarm and pull out the book I’ve been trying to get through for over a month. Apparently I don’t get much read though because when I wake up in the morning the book is on the same page as it was when I lay down. Oh well, right?

So that is a day in my life. Thanks for letting me share it with you!

Thank you so much Christina for sharing a little bit about you and your sweet family:)

Find more A Day in The Life of Her HERE 

If you would like to be a part of the "A Day in The Life of Her" series, shoot me an email. I'd love to have you!

XO Danielle 

 photo facebook_zpse39062b3.png photo bloglovin_zps3408f98c.png photo email_zps4380b3c4.png photo google_zps9047e4ac.png photo pinterest_zps65847a58.png photo instagram_zpsf40cb705.png photo subscribe_zpsc0e0adf7.png photo twitterbird_zps52e1bc64.png  photo subscribebuttonbutton_zps144a4bc1.png
Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blissful and Domestic is a place for inspiration and encouragement. Please remember that when commenting. I read all comments and am thankful for them :)

All comments are moderated. Your comment will appear soon. ;)

I reply to all comments in the comment section, so check back for answers to your questions. You can also email me at :)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...